SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Harish Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harish Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:27:28 -0500
I apologise for the hiatus. My mailing list account's SMTP server seemed
to dislike me immensely (and it still does), and I patiently waited a
while for it to "fix itself" before bypassing it entirely and going with
my uni's SMTP service instead to send e-mail.

Luke Scharf wrote:
> I've observed that, after a prolonged discussion with you, your adviser,
> your department head, etc, a compromise can usually reached.  Typically,
> the compromise looks like the following:
>
>    1. They will create some sort of official or unofficial exclusion for
>       "clueful people doing intelligent things to get work done".
>    2. All security problems are on your head -- not theirs.  They'll
>       reserve the option to cut off your network access, if there's a
>       problem.
>    3. Don't bother them, and they won't bother you.  If your machines
>       behave themselves, they'll bet you do your thing.

Thank you, kind sir, for a most thorough and useful response. I plan to
use just about every single point you've mentioned below. I sort of
implicitly assumed what you said above, and was in the process of trying
to intelligently articulate my side of the story when I wrote to this
list for thoughts.

I've snipped most things below, not because they're irrelevant, but
because they're spot on and there's little left to discuss.
>    2. Firewall: Offer to firewall everything (put it behind a
>       Linksys-style NAT box (with the latest firmware, of course!) or
>       something and have people SSH'ing into the lab connect to a
>       central box, and then SSH to where they need to go -- or do some
>       fancy port redirection).  If you're not running NFS, then the
>       iptables firewall with an exception for SSH is good.  Or both!  If
>       you do both, and then administer the machines as if they're on the
>       open Internet, you're in good shape.  Make sure to mention that
>       you know the firewall doesn't make your machines secure -- these
>       folks hear from a lot of people who think that they can remove
>       their e-mail virus scanner and web-spyware-removal-tools when the
>       machine is firewalled.  But, if they don't trust your software on
>       the open Internet, it will make them feel a bit better -
>       especially when when it's evident that you know how firewalls fit
>       into the overall IT toolbox.

The IT staff are offering to do something of this sort. Their policy
seems to be, if it is one of {a list of OSs} and it's
patched/firewalled, it can directly access the internet. Otherwise, it
has to be behind a  NAT.

I was opposed to this because people (including me) have their favourite
machines in the lab and like to access them directly. I didn't I didn't
think of what you said, allow one box they trust on the network, and set
up my internal network inside it, allowing people to hop-hop into their
machine directly (enough).

I use shfs instead of nfs (so there are no issues there).
>    3. Virus Scanner: You can install clamav from DAG's repository.  It
>       doesn't scan in realtime, but when they ask if you have a virus
>       scanner on every machine, you can say "yes!".  If you put a clamav
>       command in the crontab ("@daily /usr/bin/freshclam ; nice -n 19
>       clamscan --recursive --no-mail --infected  /"), the machine is
>       being automatically scanned.

This I hadn't even thought of, I must admit. Almost everything else
you'd mentioned came up. I was in a naive frame of mind which went
roughly like so---if someone does something stupid and gets infected, at
worst they lose all their data, the box won't necessarily be rooted. And
after some thought, I realised that people don't care about the box
being up. I mean, they probably do, but they're probably more concerned
about their data.

Plus I do get to say "yes, we proactively monitor for viruses!"
> These suggestions ought convince the central IT folks that you're
> clueful, conscientious, and taking the administration of the machines
> seriously.  In the end, this is all any IT organization really wants.

And that, was exactly what I was shooting for.

Thank you very much; you've been extremely helpful.
Harish