SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:32:01 +1000
Hi,

I've just purchased some Netgear 1gigabit ethernet cards and to my
dissapointment mii-tool couldn't be used to query them, even though the linux
kernel has no issues with using them.

I run cluster software with SL303 which uses mii-tool to do link level
checking etc... so my question is, which 1gigabit cards work correctly with
SL303 and mii-tool? so that I get output similar to the following:

[root@anaconda root]# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok
eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth2' failed: Operation not supported

note: eth2 is the Netgear card (which uses a Realtek chip), the other two are
just standard Realtek PCI cards.

Thanks.

Michael.