SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:01:36 -0500
Ugg ... I'm not sure how that happened.  Probably having an i386 development
library where it shouldn't be when building (although it's the same place where
the last nss_ldap was built).  Anyway, I'll have a fixed out out this
afternoon.  It will be renamed so it will install ... of course that then means
I'll have to rebuild the i386 version as well so things match .... ugg.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm sorry I let that one slip past.

Troy

Troy Dawson wrote:
> Looking into it.
> Troy
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> FYI for any scilinux + LDAP users
>>
>> Latest errata update for nss_ldap is missing file
>> /lib64/security/pam_ldap.so
>>
>> Ldap users are unable to authenticate on 64bit SL4 machines.
>>
>> Our quickfix was to revert to nss_ldap-226-20 and add nss_ldap rpm
>> package it to yum.excludes.

>>> Date:    Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:21:02 -0500
>>> From:    Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
>>> Subject: Security ERRATA for nss_ldap on SL4.x i386/x86_64
>>>
>>> Synopsis:     Low: nss_ldap security and bug fix update
>>> Issue date:   2008-07-24
>>> CVE Names:    CVE-2007-5794
>>>
>>> A race condition was discovered in nss_ldap, which affected certain
>>> applications that make LDAP connections, such as Dovecot. This could cause
>>> nss_ldap to answer a request for information about one user with the
>>> information about a different user. (CVE-2007-5794)
>>>
>>> As well, this updated package fixes the following bugs:
>>>
>>> * in certain situations, on Itanium(R) architectures, when an application
>>> performed an LDAP lookup for a highly populated group, for example,
>>> containing more than 150 members, the application crashed, or may have
>>> caused a segmentation fault. As well, this issue may have caused commands,
>>> such as "ls", to return a "ber_free_buf: Assertion" error.
>>>
>>> * when an application enumerated members of a netgroup, the nss_ldap
>>> module returned a successful status result and the netgroup name, even
>>> when the netgroup did not exist. This behavior was not consistent with
>>> other modules. In this updated package, nss_ldap no longer returns a
>>> successful status when the netgroup does not exist.
>>>
>>> * in master and slave server environments, with systems that were
>>> configured to use a read-only directory server, if user log in attempts
>>> were denied because their passwords had expired, and users attempted to
>>> immediately change their passwords, the replication server returned an LDAP
>>> referral, instructing the pam_ldap module to resissue its request to a
>>> different server; however, the pam_ldap module failed to do so. In these
>>> situations, an error such as the following occurred:
>>>
>>> LDAP password information update failed: Can't contact LDAP server
>>> Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userPassword' attribute of entry
>>> [entry]
>>>
>>> In this updated package, password changes are allowed when binding against
>>> a slave server, which resolves this issue.
>>>
>>> * when a system used a directory server for naming information, and
>>> "nss_initgroups_ignoreusers root" was configured in "/etc/ldap.conf",
>>> dbus-daemon-1 would hang. Running the "service messagebus start" command
>>> did not start the service, and it did not fail, which would stop the boot
>>> process if it was not cancelled.
>>>
>>> As well, this updated package upgrades nss_ldap to the version as shipped
>>> with Scientific Linux 5.
>>>
>>> SL 4.x

> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group