SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 18:59:11 -0800

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:28:06PM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Given that they're going to have to run systemd, and that they're
> still dealing with Gnome bloat if you need graphics, Assume that
> every major release is roughly 30% more CPU and RAM than the
> previous release, and you won't be too far off.

Indeed, except Mate is seemingly less bloated.  If not, Cinnamon?
When I saw all-singing, all-dancing, tablet-optimized Gnome 3,
replacing it with Mate was the first priority.  Bleah.

If systemd is a major resource hog, then our high-performance-
machine comrades will come up with something that leaves more
CPU cycles for doing computation over the next decade.  I hope.
Zillion-CPU computing is intolerant of expensive waste.  If RH
someday insists on intolerable resource misuse, we are in the
right community for a mutiny and a new direction.

But you may be right.  People follow the herd for dumb reasons.
And my next post is about something that could chew up a lot of
resources.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]