SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:49:31 -0500
I've been dragging around a copy of xman since it was dropped from the
RH distributions for several years now.  It worked great on RH9 and
SL4.1.  I'm currently testing SL5.2 and xman does not appear to be
finding any manual pages anymore.  I've verified MANPATH and everything
else looks to be correct, as compared to my 4.1 setup.

I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on the subject.  I doubt
anyone else is still dragging xman around...  Are the manpages being
handled/generated differently in SL 5 vs 4?

As a side note, I've noticed the 'makewhatis' script is now back in
/usr/sbin (as opposed to /usr/bin) and not executable by a normal user.
Probably TUV's fault, but this script should be executable as a normal
user, as passing -o allows for creating local, user-owned whatis files.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola