SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:15:30 -0700
Andy Mastbaum wrote:
> Not the flagellate the subject any further, but it seems you'd want to
> put something minimal but with cutting-edge hardware support (i.e.
> netbook-specific)* on the netbook and SSH into the "real"
> computer/server that's running SL.
>
> A typical netbook isn't (and shouldn't be!) a reasonable
> computation/analysis platform... it's a mobile client. Just because you
> can, doesn't mean you should?
>
> Andy
>
> *http://www.ubuntulinux.org/getubuntu/download-netbook

Agreed, however, it would be mainly for familiarity purposes as well as
to have a relatively newer g++ on a stable system for driving external
hardware from the USB - this is not going to be used primarily as a
desktop system (i.e. it'll be running quietly in a black box somewhere)
and so we figured an EL would be a good way to go.  We decided on a
netbook because we wanted to have a whole computer in a small package -
including a display and keyboard for initial setup and transportation.
Granted, we could have chosen a larger or smaller nettop with a monitor
but then you have to cart 3 pieces of hardware (nettop, keyboard,
monitor) instead of one. A netbook seems to me to be the best solution.

Ubuntu linux and Fedora are good distros, and we might go with one of
them, but I would like to try out SL for Brads and giggles :) And hey,
if it works, all the better right? :)

Thanks,
-Chris