SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:20:11 -0600
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Ken Teh wrote:
>
> > (1) pine ignores /etc/pine.conf
>
> I've been caught out by this myself in the past.  There are two
> commonly-used build conventions for where to find pine.conf (and
> pine.conf.fixed, if used).  One is /etc , and the other is
> /usr/local/lib.
>
> If you run SL303 PINE with strace, and look for reference to
> pine.conf, you'll see that it's trying to open
> /usr/local/lib/pine.conf
>
> Which makes it rather puzzling that the distributed configuration
> files seem to get installed into /etc , while there is no sign of such
> files in /usr/local/lib (which, as I say, appears to be where this
> build of PINE is looking for them).
>
> cheers

Thanks Alan,

You are correct.  It tries to open /usr/local/lib/pine.conf.  And I
totally agree with your last paragraph.  Anyway, I can work around this
problem but I believe it should be fixed.

So, a follow-up to the list, in particular to Connie and Troy.  How should
we fix it?  I can contribute a fix rpm.  The offer dovetails with another
rpm that I could contribute to the SL distribution.  Because of our VMS
heritage, many of my users use the jed editor in EDT mode.  I'd like to see
jed as part of the distribution in the editors package group.  I have jedrc
files plus an xterm app-defaults resource file that translates the PC keypad
into something that closely resembles the VT100 keypad.  This is what is
currently deployed on my RedHat systems.  Are Connie and Troy amenable to
this offer?  Or, would they prefer an alternative?  In any case, I'd like to
hear their comments.  This way I will know what is involved in my support of
deploying of SL here at Argonne.

Ken