SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 18:29:42 +0100
Hello

>> Is there any way to force load the forcedeth.ko driver at pxeboot install time?
[...]
> To get kickstart installs over the network going, the keyword is "driverdisk".
> Alas, the last time I had to resort to this was more than a decade ago, thus
> everything I know about it is outdated. The kickstart option seems still to be there,
> but I couldn't find any recent instructions how to create one. And then you'll have
> to make it available to the installer on a local device, since it's a network driver you need.
> I think back then I was using a floppy. Good grief...

We have not used this since a good while either but some time ago we
were overcoming this limitation by putting driverdisk.img directly
inside initrd.img loaded over PXE.

Trying to remember the exact procedure .. hmmm .. You will need to:

1) compile the module for the corresponding installation kernel (or use
one extracted from ELrepo rpm)
2) use driver disk kit (ddiskkit, I believe most recent version is here
   http://people.redhat.com/jcm/el6/dup/ddiskit/ .. not sure that it
   will work with 7 ... )
3) unpack initrd.img , copy created ddisk.img in, then repack
4) while pxe booting specify dd=/ddisk.img in options.
5) make sure that coresponding ELrepo driver rpm package is installed
   during initial system install.

Note: last time we did that on 6.4 or so .. never tested on 7 ..

Best Regards

Jarek