SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:58:21 +0200
On 07/06/07 13:01, Nocte Diemque wrote:
> Is there any information about the status of LaTeX under SL now that
> Thomas Esser has declared his desupport of tetex
> (http://www.tug.org/tetex) ?
>
> I always found the absence of many packages under tetex irritating
> but I nonetheless applauded the philosophy for tetex.
>
> I realize there was disucssion of versions of tetex back in 05 and
> recently there was a posting re beamer. My concern is that a basic
> requirement for users of SL is surely an up-to-date and full
> implementation of LaTeX and it seems that tetex will no longer
> provide either of these.
>
> With best regards.

Given that T.U.V and hence ScientificLinux has a policy not to just
replace existing packages in a released version, I guess that a switch
from tetex to TexLive won't happen for the existing releases. This
implies a commitment to fix security bugs in tetex, but will probably
not go as far as to backport useful features.

Fedora tried to get it into Fedora7 but failed:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureTexLive
I guess that it will appear in F8, and hence in the next TUV+SL versions.

However, having a more recent TeX as an addon-package would certainly be
a worthy goal. If it doesn't replace the existing tetex, it could go
into the "contrib/" area. We currently don't have an equivalent to
CentOS-Extra where packages conflicting with the base distro could go.

regards
jan