SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:31:55 -0400
On 04/12/2013 02:17 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> The BIOS order is best treated as magical, but usually the disks on built-in sata
> interaces go before the disks on add-on cards. For built-in interfaces, the order
> may or may not be the same as the labels on the mobo. (if the mobo is labeled correctly
> and the bios is in agreement with the labeling).

I think using the term "magical" gives it too much credit.  I was
thinking of another term inappropriate for a public forum :)

> Then you start the SL installer anaconda and it tries to make sense of this. The
> result is best described as "we tried for the better, but got the same as ever".
>
> The bottom line is that it the installer cannot "guess" the ordering of the disks
> and it cannot "guess" the intent of the user. Instead of "guessing" it should ask.

I disagree here.  While the installer may not know the order of the
disks the one thing it _does_ know is the media it is installing from.
And the one thing it shouldn't do is install the bootloader onto the
install media, but IME this is precisely what it tries to do.  Wrong,
wrong, wrong.

Jeff