SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:38:37 -0800
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 08:59:15AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>   perhaps showing my ignorance but does mdadm allow you to do things
>> like resize "partitions"?  i haven't worked with it, but i was under
>> the impression it was strictly for RAID.
>>

> I am not sure what you mean by "resize partitions". This must be some kind
> of data center thing, where they have unused unpartitioned disk space
> sitting idle and where they have control freaks manage disk space
> by keeping each file in a separate partition.

Robert, yes, mdadm is used only for setting up software raid.

In general I find LVM to be extremely useful, and we make extensive use of
it in the TRIUMF T1 data centre.  There are only a few areas where we
deliberately don't use it:
  - service nodes where the disk usage patterns are well understood
    and do not change
  - on hot-plug hardware raid-1 disk pairs that could potentially
    be moved to another server as part of an emergency failover plan
    (thus avoiding any issues with LVM when we move the disk pairs)

Konstantin, I multi-partition most systems:
  /, swap, /boot, /usr, /var, /tmp, /opt, /home,
so I guess I might be considered one of those control freaks? ;-)

  cheers, etc.
--
deatrich @ triumf.ca, Science/Atlas         PH: +1 604-222-7665
<*> This moment's fortune cookie: