SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:17:19 +0200
On 09/04/14 16:27, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> No it was always required because the shopping cart itself may in some
> cases contain data which could possibly be used to gain access to
> sensitive customer data. Also in a sense data about who purchases what
> and where could also be used to mask credit card fraud by making the
> fraudulent charges look like the normal shopping activities of the
> card holder.

Really!?  I've been involved in a few PCI-DSS certification rounds for a
company which provided online payment services back in the days.
Granted that's some years ago now (2005 to 2008-ish).  Even though our
scope was limited to only processing credit card information, we did not
see any requirements anywhere at that time for the shopping cart to be
PCI-DSS certified.

In fact one of our sales arguments at that time was that our customers
could avoid certifications by implementing our online payment
"terminal".  We even had some discussions with our auditor about this,
who gave his blessings to our product.  The solution we provided in this
case would take care of retrieving the credit card information from the
customer, process the payment and just provide a status back to the
merchant.  Merchants using a payment API for processing payments would
in some cases need certification, based on the amount of transactions
they had; this I believe has become much stricter since those days.

And just to have mentioned it, the solutions we provided was based upon
Gentoo(!) servers.  We even got very positive feedback for having
absolutely minimum installs on our production servers, plus kudos for
our maintenance routines.

Of course, many of the requirements have most likely changed since then.
 But I don't recognise the "always required" in regards to shopping carts.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth