SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2015

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:15:26 -0400
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Is there any "curl --list-only" type command for http sites,
> such as this turkey:
>
>     http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

In general, I don't think this is possible with HTTP indices.

The form of the directory index generated is server-specific, at least
in detail, and this will confound attempts to make a single, globally
usable index parser.  You can find ways to consistently parse directory
indices generated in the default Apache manner, and that would obviously
cover many sites, but nothing stops a site from putting up some random,
goofy directory index format of their own (Fermilab's own scisoft server
messed me up with this).

I'd love to be shown my understanding is wrong here as a universal
directory index parser would be very handy.

-Brett.