SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:25:30 -0700
On 04/18/2013 01:04 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
>      Hello to all. I am new to Linux and have had a problem getting
> replies recently to a thread I posted. Let me say now that I am really
> not sure if this is where I should be asking for help, but I have no
> other ideas on what to do. I am not trying to cause trouble nor violate
> any rules. I'm simply a newbie that would love to have more help and
> direction to get Scientific Linux v 6.4 installed and working.
>      The thread is posted on the Scientific Linux Forum under "New Linux
> users questions." My name for the user is benjie1  I first posted on
> April 8, and the title of the thread is "Can't login to gnome or kde in
> SL 64." After the first post on the 8th, I received replies very
> promptly until April 11. That was the last reply. I have posted several
> times asking for help on the same problem and giving more output and
> answering questions that were asked of me. Never did I double post, nor
> use foul language, nor violate any of the rules, as far as I know.
>      At this point, I am hoping that someone can guide me as to what I
> should do so I can use SL 64. I have seen it on a friends PC and it
> looks great. The basic problem I have is that after a successful
> install, there is no GUI where I can log in, and no keyboard or mouse.
> All I can do is use Ctl+Alt+F2 and get a command line and login as root.
> The posts in the thread will show what I have done and then I can try
> again if I receive some guidance. I realize that all these gurus are
> volunteers and I respect that. What surprises me is why the sudden
> stoppage of all replies. What did I do?
>      If this email has violated any rules or caused any problems I
> sincerely apologize. As I said, I have no way to know what to do in
> order to get SL 6.4 working. This is all I hope to accomplish eventually.
>      Thanks very much to all those who may be able to help. I will do my
> best to follow suggestions that are made and hope to get this working.
> Thanks in advance for everything.
>
> Bob Benjamin

As far as I can tell, the only Linux that installs in most cases as
simply as Mac OS X does upon an Apple proprietary machine (e.g., a
machine with the Apple logo marketed by Apple) is Ubuntu that is
designed, more or less for end users, as with Mac OS X and MS Windows.
The various EL distributions (including SL 6) require more knowledge,
understanding, and skills than a fully end-user installable end-user
environment.  If the stock, default, EL install using the GUI from EL
(anaconda et al.), provides what an end-user needs, then the install to
a running, usable system is straightforward.

Beyond that, I recommend a book by Nemeth et al.:

UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition)
ISBN-10: 0131480057, ISBN-13: 978-0131480056

Without endorsing Amazon, some details about this book are available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-System-Administration-Handbook-Edition/dp/0131480057

Note that this book has a 2010 publication date and is more or less
current through 2009; thus, not all of the latest details are covered --
but for a sound, general introduction (but not casual reading), the book
is decent.  Others may recommend additional or different books.  Note
also that a proper understanding (rather than rote technical
application) of much of the material requires a background in computer
science or the equivalent -- a statement that is true about the
underpinnings of any operating environment, including MS Windows.

Yasha Karant