SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:20:09 -0800
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 11:44 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> I am guessing that the above Nvidia chip set is (fully) supported by the
>>> proprietary Nvidia Linux driver:
>>
>> The easiest way to find the right driver version is to install
>> nvidia-detect [1] from ELRepo and run it. For example:
>>
>> $ nvidia-detect -v
>> Probing for supported NVIDIA devices...
>> [10de:0fc1] NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 640]
>> This device requires the current 346.47 NVIDIA driver kmod-nvidia
>>
>>> I have this working on my SL7 X86-64 workstation.  The stock driver
>>> (noveau)
>>> needs to be fully disabled.
>>
>> If you use ELRepo's kmod-nvidia package [2], you do not need to do any
>> of this manually. It will disable nouveau for you. Just set up ELRepo
>> as Pat suggested and run 'yum install kmod-nvidia'.
>>
>> Akemi
>>
>> [1] http://elrepo.org/tiki/nvidia-detect
>> [2] http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
>
> Nvidia routinely updates the proprietary Nvidia driver code.  At each major
> or minor production release of the Nvidia driver, does the above ELRepo RPM
> get updated to the current Nvidia code?  Is it maintained for the same Linux
> environments that Nvidia supports, or for a superset of the Nvidia supported
> environments?
>
> Yasha

ELRepo's nvidia packages stay current with the updates released by
Nvidia. There are 4 "legacy" versions in addition to the current
kmod-nvidia:

The kmod-nvidia-340xx driver supports GeForce 8xxx and 9xxx series
GPUs, GT2xx and Quadro series
The kmod-nvidia-304xx driver supports GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs
The kmod-nvidia-173xx driver supports GeForce 5 series GPUs
The kmod-nvidia-96xx driver supports GeForce 2 to GeForce 4 series GPUs

'nvidia-detect' identifies your device and tells you which one to use.

I highly recommend you subscribe to the elrepo mailing list. Recently,
Nvidia released a version that drops support for a number of commonly
used cards. ELRepo proactively dealt with the issue as seen in this
thread:

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2015-January/002508.html

Like all other ELRepo's packages, they are built for RHEL and its
rebuilds (including SL).

Akemi