SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Robert Tilden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Tilden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 18:07:08 -0500
I installed SLF 5.2 on an older Dell the other day and I'm having a hard
time getting the microphone to work. I've tried it with an ancient Ensoniq
card and a more recent SoundBlaster Live card, but so far none of the (many)
permutations of controls and settings have yielded a peep from the
microphone. The audio output works fine with either speakers or headphones.

I've tested the headset on another machine and the mic works.
I've booted the problem system from a Ubuntu HH live-boot disk- works.
I've even read the ALSA documentation- no dice.

Any relevant thoughts or guidance from anyone? Would a less recent version
of SLF be more likely to work?

Bob Tilden, [log in to unmask]
High Energy Physics Group
Northwestern University