SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2012

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:29:45 -0700
On 03/16/2012 02:02 AM, g wrote:

> On 03/16/2012 05:47 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:

>>> -=-
>>>
>>> before you go jumping into 'latest and greatest' from mozilla,
>>> you should check out their mailing lists and/or news groups.
>>>

>>> there is nothing 'great' about all the problems i am seeing
>>> on their list.
>>>

>> Does the above "nothing 'great'" mean that the content on:
>>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html
>>
>> and similar URLs for other Mozilla applications, is not anything about
>> which to be concerned?  Have these security updates been backported by
>> TUV into what are nominally earlier releases of the various Mozilla
>> applications?
>>
>> If this is not the case, why are the security concerns not important?
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>>

> first off, you make no mention of which sl or mozilla releases you are using,
> nor where you pulled them.
>
> from your header, i see that you are using;
>
>    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:10.0.2)
>    Gecko/20120216 Thunderbird/10.0.2
>
> which you may have manually installed in "sl 5.x", or you are using
> "sl 6.x", and it is a fnal.gov "fastbugs" rpm;
>
>    firefox-10.0.1-1.el6_2.i686.rpm       24-Feb-2012 14:53
>    firefox-10.0.1-1.el6_2.x86_64.rpm     24-Feb-2012 14:54
>    thunderbird-10.0.1-3.el6_2.i686.rpm   24-Feb-2012 14:53
>    thunderbird-10.0.1-3.el6_2.x86_64.rpm 24-Feb-2012 14:54
>
> where as the security releases show;
>
>    firefox-3.6.26-1.el6_2.i686.rpm       01-Feb-2012 12:01
>    firefox-3.6.26-1.el6_2.x86_64.rpm     01-Feb-2012 12:01
>    thunderbird-3.1.18-2.el6_2.i686.rpm   16-Feb-2012 16:09
>    thunderbird-3.1.18-2.el6_2.x86_64.rpm 16-Feb-2012 16:09
>
> the above rpms are what are shown in paths below;
>
>    http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6x/
>
> so, where you pulled your release, i do not know, nor would i guess.
>

> i am running;
>
>    Scientific Linux SL release 5.5 (Boron)
>
> using;
>    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.26)
>    Gecko/20120216 Red Hat/3.6-1.el5_7 Firefox/3.6.26
>    Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (X11/20120201)
>

> as for security updates, i am current by these notices;
>
> }>  Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:00:05 -0600
> }>  To: [log in to unmask]
> }>  Subject: Security ERRATA Critical: thunderbird on SL4.x, SL5.x i386/x86_64
> }>  From: [log in to unmask]
> }>
> }>  Issue Date:  2012-02-01
> }>  CVE Numbers: CVE-2012-0442
> }>               CVE-2011-3670
>

> }>  Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:00:29 -0600
> }>  To: [log in to unmask]
> }>  Subject: Security ERRATA Critical: firefox on SL4.x, SL5.x, SL6.x
> }>           i386/x86_64
> }>  From: [log in to unmask]
> }>
> }>  Issue Date:  2012-01-31
> }>  CVE Numbers: CVE-2012-0442
> }>               CVE-2011-3670
> }>               CVE-2012-0449
> }>               CVE-2012-0444
> }>               CVE-2011-3659

> [...]
I do not know if list etiquette on this list allows one to snip, or not.
  If so, I would have snipped most of the above.

I am using SL 6x (current) on all machines I control, some IA-32
distribution, some X86-64.  I am using the most current production
version for Linux that Mozilla provides for thunderbird with lightning,
firefox, and seamonkey.  I fully understand your issue with stability,
issues with new features and changes in the internal Mozilla engine,
etc.  My issue was, and is, very simple in this regard:  if the latest
production release on the URL listed above for security concerns shows
that Mozilla claims that the production release addresses a red security
issue (generally, a compromise that can happen in the normal use of the
application by an end user, not by a specific "bad" practice and not by
ignoring warnings of such things as "attack sites"), then I immediately
upgrade.

Thus, back to my point, that may need to be addressed by either the SL
developers at Fermilab/CERN or, in principle, by TUV:  if one does not
use the Mozilla production release, but instead uses the SL RPM that
typically has a much lower Mozilla release number, are the security
issues identified by Mozilla, and posted to the URL I listed
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html
and related Mozilla security URL lists for other Mozilla application,
actually addressed by the SL RPMs of the Mozilla suite?

In other words, by using the SL production (e.g., 6x) RPMs for the
Mozilla suite, is the environment of the machine still vulnerable to the
compromises identified and purportedly addressed on the above referenced
(and regularly updated) Mozilla URLs?  How does the FNAL SL list from
the email of "g" correspond to the actual Mozilla list?

Yasha Karant