SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2007

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:53:46 -0500
Wenji Wu said...

|I want to profile the system with oprofile, which only requires the vmlinux
|(the uncompressed kernel image). My system has only vlinuz. Are there any
|way that I can convert vmlinuz to vmlinux?

Some details are here:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmlinux

with reference to a way to do this.

Is a stripped kernel going to work for you?
If not, you need to get the source and build
one.  Or see if there is a kernel-debuginfo
package available for whichever version of
the OS you are running; this should have the
vmlinux you need, unless that has changed
with recent releases.