SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2013 09:46:31 -0500
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM, ~Stack~ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 11/30/2013 01:03 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> If the upstream detection is the issue, put a "sleep 10" in the
>> "start" stanza of /etc/nit.d/network. Amusingly enough, you can even
>> put it in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, although that can
>> get irritating and tools like system-config-network or NetworkManager
>> will happily overwrite it.
>
> Not a bad idea. I just tried it and didn't get it to work. Maybe 10
> seconds is too short?

Maybe! I haven't seen this since I started using mostly VM's for my
Linux work. There's a lot of interesting complexity in the network
init scripting, which makes a lot of assumptions about the state of
things at various times. You might consider booting in single user
mode, and single stepping your way thorugh the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d init
scripts to see if and when the network is made available. If it works
as expected, then yeah, a time delay on the network init script might
be helpful.