SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 04:48:20 +0100
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> Deal All,
>
> I apologize to all of you who find this question trivial. I am
> completely new to Linux and to Scientific Linux in particular albeit
> Unix (OpenBSD and Solaris) user of over 20 years.
>
> I have been entrusted with the installation and configuration of NVidia
> Tesla c1060 on our university test rig running i386_64 Scientific Linux
> 5.5.
>
> After a bit of pocking around I managed to kill X server, install gcc as
> directed by NVidia driver installation script. However, due to the lack
> of pre-compiled kernel interfaces on NVidia ftp server I am forced by
> installer to compile a kernel interface. This is where my troubles
> begin. I have no source code for the kernel. I used yum to install
> kernel-devel.rpm and all other rpms (since I didn't find kernel-src.rpm)
> which contain kernel in the name. Never the less script still complains
> about the lack of the kernel source code. Could you please tell me where
> can I get kernel source and where is supposed to be placed on Linux?

You don't actually need the full kernel source to 'build' the nvidia
kernel interfaces, just the kernel-devel package provides enough of the
headers etc to do it.

btw there are plenty of rpms of the nvidia drivers using dkms for the
auto-kernel-module rebuilding (and probably others using kabi tracking).
We use locally maintained rpms based on the DAG srpms but with some local
tweaks (which might make them not ideal for others) and updated to a
version of the nvidia binary blobs that we just download from nvidia
whenever we feel the need for an update...

Until recently we were using nvidia version 190.42, but are in the middle
of updating to 280.13 at the moment - so far it seems to be fine and we
plan to roll it out to the rest of our sl5 boxes next Wednesday...

That said we do this mainly for X support - that these drivers also
support CUDA is mostly (for us) a bonus though we do have one box with a
C1060 card using it...

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |