SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:22:15 -0500
Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Troy Dawson wrote:
>

>>The date is only used for the subject header so that users can sort
>

> I don't have any way to "sort" on mm/dd/yy, without having to create
> some custom sorting rules; but without the ISO-ish format would sort
> correctly without any effort at all; so your argument would seem to
> favour my proposal.
>

>>This is not a hard thing to change. As you pointed out, it's just a
>>change in what I set as date.
>

> I'm not happy at the idea of everyone having to apply their own local
> corrections to cure problems.  I'd rather see them addressed at
> source, no matter how "easy" they might be to correct locally.

Oh, that wasn't what I meant at all.
I meant, this is easy to change, so I have no problem changing it in the main
yum-conf rpm.

>>For my vote, I do not feel that changing it to yyyy-mm-dd is going
>>to solve the problem, because who's to know that it isn't
>>yyyy-dd-mm.
>

> Do you have any /serious/ reason for suggesting that, please?

Before I answer you question, I have changed my mind.  Local people has sat
down with me and talked with me about this.  (Don't know why I had sorting
dates so messed up in my head, but I did).  So I am now in favor of yyyy-mm-dd
is that is what others want.

But when I said what I said above, I was thinking, if people can't tell the
difference between dd-mm-yy, and mm-dd-yy, how are they going to tell the
difference between yyyy-mm-dd and yyyy-dd-mm.  It's all just numbers.
(And no, I don't know the ISO standards.  But I have read the man page for date.)

Anyway, if people agree on a format, I'll change it to whatever people agree to.

So what format do you want?  Because in your original e-mail it sounded like
you wanted the month spelled out in the date, which was what I thought I was
accommodating.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468