SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2010

From:
Ken Schumacher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Schumacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:28:53 -0600
Greetings,

I have a repeatable problem on at least one of our SLF 4.4 systems.  It seems that running commands like 'yum --check-update' seem to run into some sort of memory leak.  The yum output gets to the point of saying "Reading repository metadata in from local files" and a top listing on a another window shows the memory use simply climbing.  The original window will not respond to a Ctrl-C.

We have had to disable the cron.daily yum update on the nodes because it was causing problems every night when it runs.  FWIW, I did try to run a 'yum clean all' command.  That runs fine, but the next attempt to run a check-update suffers the same memory issues.

I've searched through the linux-users and scientific-linux-users archives and have not found anything like this reported already.  Has anyone seen this?

Ken S.

Ken Schumacher  <[log in to unmask]>  (o) 630-840-4579 (f) 630-840-3109
Computing Div/HPC  LQCD Group   Loc: WH8E   http://www.usqcd.org/fnal/
Fermi National Accelerator Lab; PO Box 500 MS 120 Batavia, IL 60510-0500