SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 00:05:04 -0400
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM, El Amigo De La Playa
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am very satisfied to successfully single-boot SL6.1 (i386, from the
> install DVD) on my older "white" MacBook, you know, the first ones from
> 2007...
>
> This laptop is actually my primary machine, a "hand-me-down", and I ran
> Ubuntu LTS 10.04 for a year, until I could salvage a 160GB hdd, twice the
> size of the original hdd !!!
>
> It was time for a change... At first, I tried Ubuntu 11.10, with Unity...
> While it looks good, it is very uncomfortable to use, very dumbed down...
>
> I went for KDE, to see how Mageia was doing... Not bad, but I am not a KDE
> guy... I have been running Gnome 2.x since 2004...
>
> Then I remember the RHEL clones... About 2 years ago, I followed the trend
> started by Kiki Novak and his excellent book "Linux aux petits oignons", and
> used CentOS 5.x for a while... But eventually moved...
>
> Now I have SL6, and simply cannot believe how little footprint it has, both
> in CPU and in RAM...
>
> So I wanted to thank the SL team and congrats to everyone involved !!!!!

Amigo, you *are* aware that Scientific Linux is a freeware rebundling
of a very famous vendor's (R)eally (H)andy (E)xcellent (L)inux. Give
credit where it's due. The free rebuild is great for those of us who
like to develop in a less fettered way, or who can't afford the
commercial licenses, and I send patches and updates and support to
both. But do give credit for the *design* of the underlying operating
system ot the upstream vendor. They work very hard to do things right.