SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 09:36:19 -0500
Hi Shane,
On S.L. 4.x there is NetworkManager.  I had to admit that when it works
it makes XP's network manager look complicated.
If you have S.L. 4.0, then it most likely is installed, just not turned
on.  The reason it isn't turned on is that it doesn't work on all
wireless cards.  But I do know that the ipw2200, if it is working, works
with it.
It does scanning, makes connecting to a network a simple one click thing
for the user.  It will even switch between wired and wireless if you
plug in, or unplug, your wired network.  (This feature can be turned off
or modified)
It also doesn't have to be run as root.
To get it going do

   **as root**
   /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
   /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

That get's the deamon going, from then on you don't have to be root.  As
a user then do

   NetworkManagerInfo

It works in both Gnome and KDE.

How to tell if it will work with your card?  Basically if your card can
do a "iwlist accesspoints" then the odds are that it will work.

Troy

Shane Canon wrote:

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468