SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:43:19 -0800
On 01/25/2013 05:28 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> After a bit of work, on-line research (not entirely from the Nvidia site nor
>> Nvidia documentation), I have modified the Nvidia application created
>> xorg.conf file to one that actually works:  a stereo 3D application such as
>> UCSF Chimera actually activates the 3D functionality under SL 6x that works.
>>
>> Yasha Karant
>
> Would you send that to NVidia and Elrepo and Red Hat, especially if
> you can isolate the critical differences? That way, it can hopefully
> get into the software installers and be more useful for the next
> person.

My understanding is that none of the distribution or other RPM
repositories include a RPM binary port of the Nvidia proprietary
("taints the kernel") X11 video driver.  The open systems driver (noveau
as I recall) does not have full functionality with the proprietary
Nvidia system.

The xorg.conf file I posted is only for the Nvidia proprietary driver
that is installed as root from a non-GUI scrolling text screen
application (ordinary shell, not one that appears within a terminal
application of the GUI), as the kernel must blacklist the noveau driver
(Nvidia refuses to install if the noveau driver even is present in the
kernel, and will not automatically modify the grub.conf file to
blacklist noveau).
I simply used ctrl-alt-F"N" for some small number that would give me a
plain terminal login prompt (e.g., ctrl-alt-F4, where the F4 means that
key on the keyboard).  Nvidia provides an executable shell script file
that also contains sufficient source/object files to build a binary
driver during the running of the script, and to provide a xorg.conf
file.  However, the Nvidia produced xorg.conf file does not activate the
3D stereoscopic functionality of the Nvidia system -- the reason that I
manually had to modify the xorg.conf file (and a merry Easter egg hunt
it was).

I have conveyed this information to a research support contact at Nvidia
in the past for the same issue with a similar resolution (that evidently
was lost over several years, equipment in and out of service, etc.), but
to no evident result.

My understanding is that our unnamed TUV (are we now allowed to use that
name on this list?  I was chastised for so  doing) and Elrepo routinely
peruse this list and thus should be aware of this fix.

Yasha Karant