SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 11:29:44 -0400
VirtualBox itself, I like. The authors seem to have actually read Eric
Raymond's old essay on the "Luxury of Ignorance",  and made an
effective user interface that does not *argue* with you, and works
well with multiple types of server and client. I use it on a Windows
box for best performance of games, and use VirtualBox for my
Scientific Linux and similar environments. The use of the right "Alt"
key rather than "Ctrl-Alt" combinations to switch away from the VM
screen is one of my favorite bright moves from its designers.

The Oracle virtual VM's are a freeware problem. Oracle has tried to
proprietize someone Red Hat's free software and open source work,
especially the kernel, and it would be quite difficult to bring their
changes over to SL or other freeware rebuild environments.

Oracle's own download pages point to their "public" yum server at
http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/. Unfortunately, the
repository is not browseable, probably to reduce the likelihood of
people making mirrors of it. To review its contents without installing
them, you have to set up a yum configuration and run something like
"reposync -n -u --repoid=ol6_latest", or mirror them locally with the
"reposync" command. This is feasible, but it's a pain, and makes
picking and choosing awkward. And that seems to be the point. The
source packages seem to be avaialble at
https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/SRPMS-updates/.

So what do you get with this commoditized distribution and especially
kernel? You get hot kernel updates (which can be *very* useful to
avoid downtime when updating a live, mission critical host), and
guaranteed compatibility with Oracle software (which is not a fmall
thing for a big iron Oracle server handling thousands of transactions
a second).

Scientific Linux, and CentOS, have been *very* good about making their
work genuinely open and accessible. They've also been very good about
labeling their modified packages as modified, with an I'm not sure I
want to cooperate  with this sort of "we'll make the files available,
but we won't tell you their names" sort of silliness.