SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 14:16:46 +0200
On 07/05/15 03:51, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> On 05/06/2015 09:33 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Thank you.  I will have to get over my phobia of software
>> RAID.
>
> FWIW I have used SW RAID1 for years (maybe decades by now) on all sorts
> of systems.  It has saved me many times and never burned me.
>
> If you are going to do anything in SW RAID1 is as easy/good as it gets.

+1 ... Same experience here too.

I've had mdadm RAID setups with both RAID1 and RAID5 where harddrive
failures have happened.  Recovered without any issues and no data loss.

Performance wise ... I've not done anything testing in particular.  But
none of my setups have felt sluggish on normal usage.

David S.