SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2014 04:40:45 +0300
Hi Yasha Karant!

 On 2014.12.22 at 17:25:20 -0800, Yasha Karant wrote next:

> Before I did both of these steps, Firefox (after a quit and activate)
> refused to use VLC, but does now
> except for the situation as follows.
>
> I tried the URL below:
>
> http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/help/en/flash/index.html
>
> The test  Adobe Flash Player Test did not work, with the diagnostic message:
> Flash not running.
>
> The test Adobe Flash-Video Test forced a download of a FLV file that was
> then opened and handled by VLC .
>
> Does anyone know why the first test failed and how to get around the issue
> with VLC ?

It failed because VLC is not flash. It's only a substitute that supports
flash video files. E.g. you can watch youtube with it. But it won't run
any other kind of flash.

If you need full-featured flash plugin, refer to this guide on how to
install flash-plugin 16 in firefox:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-get-chromes-latest-flash-player-to-work-in-firefox-on-linux/

I checked and it works on SL7 system. Needed to pull & rebuild ragel SRPM from
fedora (rebuilds just fine) and install devel packages of
alsa-lib cairo freetype glib2 gtk2 libconfig libevent libX11 uriparser mesa-libGLES

then download fresh player from
https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin

build it (you'll need cmake and g++, obviously) and copy resulting
libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so to ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Install google chrome and run it once, go to
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to check that flash plugin
version 16,0,0,235 is installed.

That's it, restart firefox, fresh player will locate flash player 16
from chrome installation and will make sure it works in your firefox.

Works without a hitch.

--

Vladimir