SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:42:53 +0100
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Connie Sieh wrote:

> The yum-conf should have been updated automatically unless it has been
> changed and in that case the .rpmnew was made.
>
> I think the way redhat did it was very confusing and would have caused other
> problems.
>
> We know this is a hard pill to swallow.

Since we 'edit' all the standard .repo files to point to local mirrors it
is fairly painless for us to add in any new keys as needed (and of course
for 'our' repos we stick in our signing keys as well).

If things were split into multiple repos (by key) then we would have to
re-work all sorts of scripts and testing those would take us much more
time and effort.

ie of the possible choices I'd say that what Connie and Troy picked is the
best solution (for us anyway).

Of course in our setup all the relevant machines are centrally managed by
us so we don't have to worry about user-admin'd boxes and can simply
arrange to sync over new .repo files from our nightly hack-things-about
scripts... :-)

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |