SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:56:02 -0700
On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 10:48:56AM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Color me old-fashioned, but the new 2.6xx Hardware Abstraction Layer
> (HAL) behavior of mounting a CDROM in /media using the CD's volume
> name is annoying (and hard to write scripts for).  For example,  if
> the CD is named "New Volume", it mounts as "/media/New Volume" (a
> filename including a space).
>
> Is there something I can tweak so that the CD on /dev/cdrom always
> mounts as /media/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom ?
>
> Keith

I have learned more.  The automounting does not occur when my machine
is running level 3.  This is actually something that gnome (specifically
gnome-volume-manager) does in cooperation with HAL, so I can turn off
the automounting with :

 gnome -> System -> Preferences -> Removeable Drives and Media

And there are no options besides turning media automount on and off,
none that I can find with the configuration editor, either.  Fooey.
I just turned it off, and built some shell scripts to do it (and
sudo'd mount, umount, and eject so I can drive them as a user).

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993