SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Lucian Stroe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucian Stroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:50:21 -0500
Hi all,

I have a problem which concerns my Toshiba Laptop on which I installed SL 4.0.
At the beginning, it did not recognize the LAN card (of the type mentioned in
the Subject). After a long fight, I succeeded to find the driver (on
http://www.syskonnect.com), and to install it. The installation procedure, as
I realized, contains also a recompilation of the kernel.

Today... I decided to check whether yum find something to update to my Linux
(BAD idea!!). It found some updates, including the kernel... Everything
downloaded, everything installed, everything updated, including the kernel...
At the first reboot, I got some error message saying that the network card was
removed and... I was unable to install it back. I even tried to reboot on the
old kernel, or to re-install the system from scratch, and to follow the
procedure which I used initially with success... No way to make it working,
after the kernel compilation I got an error message saying the installation
cannot be completed...

Any of you have an idea what should I do to get that damned ethernet card
working? I'm just messed up...

Thanks a lot,

Lucian Stroe.