SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:33:09 -0600
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Maurizio_Martinelli?= said...

|Hi, I have a Canon MP170 printer: it's a multifunction printer. The syste
|(SL4.4) recognise it but doesn't have the drivers to print(and Canon does
|n't
|release any for Linux). I just want to use the printer function. Can anyb
|ody
|suggest me the right way?

A couple of things.  First off, does it come with a
PPD file?  The PPD file may work with CUPS.  We have
downloaded general PPD files labeled as being for
Windows or Mac (I forget which) for a couple of odd
ducks at work, and they worked just fine with Linux.
Since these are PostScript Printer Drivers, they
generally work cross-platform.

Failing that, you can try Turboprint.  It's not free,
but it's very reasonable, and it works quite well.
I integrated it at home for an Epson nobody was
supporting yet under RH8, and still use it now on SL4.
It has a good interface with extras like the ability
to check ink levels, etc.

I've never heard of MINUIT, other than Peter Minuit. 8^/

-Miles