SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:43:10 +0000
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Keith wrote ...
>> driver works fine in 5.2 .  The EEE also needed a patched
>> ethernet driver with 5.0, while the driver in 5.2 worked fine.
>
> I spoke too soon.  After a reboot, the network went away - or else
> I was not paying attention previously.  The EEE PC Box uses a
> Realtek 8168B, but for some reason the (updated) SL5.2 kernel calls
> for the 8169 driver, which does not work.  So I added rpmforge to
> my yum repositories, then installed the dkms-8168 driver.  I'm not
> sure I did everything right - during boot it talks about the driver
> already being loaded - but it works now.  The steps:
<snip.

Note that the kernels which will come with the sl5.3 update seem to
include a somewhat updated version of the realtek 8168/8169 drivers.

Since on the next kernel-security-udpate you will probably get something
based on that you may need to check that the extra drivers you have added
don't get inteference from the standard kernel ones.

  -- Jon