SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:08:06 -0600
Oskar Kovac wrote:
> I have installed by default OO115 on SL44 .
>
> New OpenOffice 2.1 canīt start after RPM installation.
>
> Is there something specific to the installation of the OO21?
>
> Regards,

Hi,
I didn't even know it was out until you said this.
But, it does work for me.
I completely removed my old openoffice (2.0.1) and re-installed the new one.
   yum remove openoffice.org\*
   rpm -Uvh openoffice.org*.rpm
   cd desktop-integration
   rpm -Uvh openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.1-5.noarch.rpm

So that is how I installed it, and it works as good as always.  It did
notice two things in the README that might account for something.

   ----

Difficulties starting OpenOffice.org (e.g. applications hang) as well as
problems with the screen display are often caused by the graphics card
driver. If these problems occur, please update your graphics card driver
or try using the graphics driver delivered with your operating system.
Difficulties displaying 3D objects can often be solved by deactivating
the option "Use OpenGL" under 'Tools - Options - View - 3D view'.

----

If you experience OpenOffice.org startup problems (most notably while
using Gnome) please 'unset' the SESSION_MANAGER environment variable
inside the shell you use to start OpenOffice.org. This can be done by
adding the line "unset SESSION_MANAGER" to the beginning of the soffice
shell script found in the "[office folder]/program" directory.

----

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468