SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:18:40 -0800
On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Ryan C. England wrote:

> I have included the current value of vm.min_free_kbytes below.
> [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
> 90112

We typically (at SL 5 though) double the anaconda-configured value.
It is easy enough to change and test dynamically ..

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Ryan C. England <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>       Denice,
> First and foremost, thank you for the reply.  I have included the I/O
> stack for your convenience.
>
> nfs, xfs, lvm, megaraid_sas
>
> I could get rid of lvm layer, but the others are required.  We're
> currently using this as our NAS.  When the array was created, ext4 was
> not yet widely adopted so we chose to go with xfs.
>
> What value should I set for vm.min_free_kbytes?  In further
> researching the issue, I have discovered that 2.6.35 includes "xfs:
> skip writeback from reclaim context."  Should I entertain the idea of
> using a newer version of the kernel?

probably only if you are comfortable doing it, and have some kind of a
test system.

I would join the XFS mailing list, and ask some experts.

At SL6 I think you can enable some debugging by mounting debugfs
and get some stack traces (some one is probably going to ask for them).
This seems to work for me, but your mileage may very:

# ls /sys/kernel/debug/

# mount -t debugfs nodev /sys/kernel/debug
# ls /sys/kernel/debug/
bdi          dynamic_debug  kprobes  sched_features  x86
boot_params  extfrag        kvm      tracing         xen
dri          hid            mce      usb

# cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/stack_trace
         Depth    Size   Location    (-1 entries)
         -----    ----   --------
#
#  Stack tracer disabled

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/stack_tracer_enabled
# cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/stack_trace
         Depth    Size   Location    (42 entries)
   0)     3200      48   walk_tg_tree+0x6a/0xb0

cheers, etc.
--
deatrich @ triumf.ca, Science/Atlas         PH: +1 604-222-7665
<*> This moment's fortune cookie: