SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Steven Leikeim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Leikeim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:51:14 -0600
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:38:31AM -0600, Alex Finch wrote:
> We have a number of SL 5.5 machines with ATI graphics cards. We have discovered that they freeze when using the ati proprietary driver (fglrx). I am guessing this is since the recent xorg-x11-server update on 7th October. They had worked fine previously, and they work ok if I revert to a default xorg.conf. Does anyone else see this problem, or even better, have a solution?
>
>  Alex Finch

We had the same problem here (with SL 5.6) on some lab machines where we have
to use the ATI proprietary driver. As I was away on Friday when this showed
up, the machines were rebuilt resulting in working machines (but with mediocre
performance). Re-installing our local custom RPM for the fglrx driver was
successful with no changes required.

I suspect that the problem arises from the fglrx driver replacing some of the
system files with it's own and when these files were changed by the RPM they
belong to, the fglrx driver got confused and stopped operating properly.

It looks like the solution may be as simple as just re-installing the fglrx
driver.

Steven Leikeim

--

Steven Leikeim, GSEC-Gold        | We, the willing
Schulich School of Engineering   | led by the unknowing
                                 | for the ungrateful.
University of Calgary            | We have done so much
Calgary, Alberta                 | for so long with so little
                                 | we are now qualified
Phone: (403) 220-5373            | to do anything with nothing.