SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:41:26 -0700
Quoting from below:

So what do you get with this commoditized distribution and especially
kernel? You get hot kernel updates (which can be *very* useful to
avoid downtime when updating a live, mission critical host), and
guaranteed compatibility with Oracle software (which is not a fmall
thing for a big iron Oracle server handling thousands of transactions
a second).

End quote.

The above precisely addresses my query.  I have been a long time user of
VirtualBox after VMWare (originally from
a Stanford group if memory serves) became a strictly for-profit
commercial approach that only administrative (not academic research by
Faculty) computing had sufficient budget to afford.  I routinely run MS
Windows (currently MS Win 7 pro) under VirtualBox on an EL workstation
as a mechanism to use end-user applications that are not available under
open systems without any necessity of dual-booting, etc.  Because
VirtualBox source and documentation are available, I also teach from it
so that students have a better real-world understanding of a hypervisor
and certain types of virtualization.

However, I have not used VirtualBox in a mission-critical server
environment.  If anyone else has experience with the Oracle pre-packaged
VMs under VirtualBox in a distributed server environment, I would
appreciate additional observations.  On a reasonably well provisioned
workstation, VirtualBox running MS Win 7 (and previous MS Wins) displays
no real end user experience degradation (long load or execute times,
crashes, etc.).  However, a mission critical server can experience a
very different workload than a workstation, and it is important to be
able to predict significant end user service degradation due to the
virtualization overhead -- particularly in real-world use (not
simulations or highly controlled environments).

Yasha Karant