SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 23:39:44 +0100
On 16/07/13 21:24, Yasha Karant wrote:
> A query:
>
>  > it's my understanding that you ought to be careful about
>  > mixing packages from ATrpms and rpmfusion.  They tend to cover similar
>  > areas of application. and individually do it well, but mixing does cause
>  > problems.
>
> I agree with this, and, as rpmfusion seems to be working hard to be
> compatible with "stock" EL, I shall discontinue use of ATrpms in so far
> as possible.  Hence:
>
> Is there a mechanism to
>
> (1) identify ATrpm rpms that are present on a system
>
> (2) find if the same functionalities exist within rpmfusion
>
> and thus, using (if possible) the Add/Remove Software GUI, disable
> ATrpms as a source, delete all of the ATrpms rpms that meet (2) and
> replace these with those from rpmfusion?

I don't want to appear to be advocating a flight from ATrpms here.  I
used it happily for at least 8 years, and after moving towards rpmfusion
(because Axel seemed to be getting busier with other things and I
thought I should explore other options) I still needed an ATrpms kernel
module to get support for a fairly new tv tuner;  rpmfusion's policies
don't let it provide that.  Now I'm using an elrepo kernel.  I'm not
clear how risky that is and I don't think I could use it with nVidia
graphics.  I think, although I haven't tried it recently, that Axel's
builds would be needed to do both.  I didn't see 'mixing' problems in
this scenario.

I know this isn't really a 'typical' use for SL,   Perhaps getting OT.
Sorry.

John P