SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 16:07:33 +0100
On Wed, 25 May 2005, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

> - many PPDs for the most common printers are part of the cups-drivers
>   RPM and one of these is selected when you add/modify printer.
>   They are in :
>   /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic/
>   The one we use is :
>   HP/HP-LaserJet_5M-Postscript-cups.ppd.gz

OK.  Our printer was a new model and did not have a stock PPD file
there.

> - I belive that when you "configure" a specific printer named
>   "myprinter", a specific PPD is created using the above PPD as
>   a template and adding the specific configuration options.
>
>   This generated PPD is :
>   /etc/cups/ppd/myprinter.ppd

Ah, I understand you now - in fact a "myprinter.ppd" file is created
there for each PPD-based printing queue, and I suppose you're right
that this is modified when the Configure Printer menu is used.

> Anyway, in /etc/cups/ppd/myprinter.ppd, I have the following :
>
> *OpenUI *Duplex/Double-Sided Printing: PickOne
> *DefaultDuplex: None
> *Duplex DuplexNoTumble/Long Edge (Standard): ""
> *Duplex DuplexTumble/Short Edge (Flip): ""
> *Duplex None/Off: ""
> *CloseUI: *Duplex

It's not clear to me whether this is telling the server that your
printer has double-sided capability or not.  The "Configure Printer"
web page on the server *should* offer the ability to tailor this, if
it's working the way that our Kyo PPD file does.  If the driver does
not believe that the printer has this capability, I don't think it
will honour requests to use it.

If the PPD does not make provision for configuring this via the
configure-printer interface, then I suppose you may need to edit the
PPD file by hand.  I can't really advise on what the correct settings
would be, though.  In its PPD file, the Kyo calls this "Option16", and
the optional paper tray is "Option20", which are clearly specific to
the Kyo.