SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 14:53:16 -0700
On 02/15/2015 12:32 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 16/02/2015 5:19 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> On 02/15/2015 08:53 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>> On 16/02/2015 2:29 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
>>> In the end, it doesn't do anything more functional than the old init
>>> system did - just now that instead of throwing stuff in /etc/init.d, you
>>> now have to write another file to then call the init script.
>>>
>>> Web interfaces and other junk aside, systemd doesn't seem to do much in
>>> the way of improvement - in fact, most features of priorities and
>>> parallel start exist in sysvinit - but were never implemented properly
>>> by distributions... So instead, we reinvent the wheel again...
>>
>> It does a whole lot more that the old init system did, which an internet
>> search and a few minutes of reading would have made abundantly clear.
>> Just a couple points:
>
> Oh I know - I don't know exactly if its a good thing or not.

Okay, but that's not what you wrote.

>> - It monitors the processes that is starts and can restart them if they
>> die.
>
> This is not always good. I can think of many reasons why you don't want
> to automatically restart processes. There are some good as well, but not
> as many imho.

Certainly, which is why it's configurable on a per-service basis.  But I
think it's very useful.

>> - It can log the output in the journal that would have otherwise been lost.
>
> Which is a binary logfile that most people ignore and end up with syslog
> anyway. There is a reason syslog is found just about everywhere.

People may be ignoring it now as syslog is familiar standard, I know I
did for a while.  But I'm finding it more and more useful as I use it.

>> Please people, let's do some research before just putting out our first
>> impressions as facts.
>
> I'd hardly say its first impressions. Not being impressed at all isn't a
> good feature - and 'but but but you don't know it!' is like that saying
> "He's a good bloke when you get to know him"... What that really means
> is that he's an asshole until you learn to put up with it - and that's
> what we're really dealing with here ;)

I think I'm done at this point.  I just wanted to respond to "it doesn't
do anything more functional than the old init system", which I believe
is demonstrably false.  Whether or not you find that useful is certainly
subjective.  I clearly do, and you clearly don't, and I'm fine with that.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  [log in to unmask]