SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2009

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:33:19 -0500
John Summerfield writes:
> If there was a menu item to "configure automatic updates," I would
> applaud that, and I would have found it. My preferred choice would be
> "Download all updates at 04:00 but do not apply any."

This option is available with the yum-cron package.  yum-cron is an
evolution of the older cron-based yum updates, although the EPEL/CentOS
package is older than the Fedora version.  In /etc/sysconfig/yum-cron,
just change the value of DOWNLOAD_ONLY.  You'll get an email with the
available updates and instructions on how to apply them.  Taking the
RANDOMWAIT variable down to 1 will make it always happen at the same
time (the default is larger to avoid an accidental DOS on the repos from
every installation in the world suddenly hammering them
simultaneously).

Tweaking /etc/sysconfig files is the serverside equivalent of menu
items, to avoid having to go graphical to set stuff up on boxes with no
monitors.

	  Alec

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/