SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:23:48 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Mark Stodola wrote:
>> Ken Teh wrote:
>>> I would like to install a minimal SL system plus/minus certain
>>> packages. Since it's minimal, I figure the easiest way is to install
>>> core (maybe base) and manually add and subtract packages in the ks
>>> file.  Another possibility is to modify the comps.xml file to turn
>>> type='default' to type='optional' for those packages I don't want.
>>> Of course, that means I have to host the installation tree on a
>>> server inside of fetching them via http from a mirror.  Both methods
>>> are about equivalent. What I don't want to do is sit in front the
>>> machine and manually check and uncheck packages.
>>>
>>> The above approaches work only because it's a minimal install.
>>> Anything more would get pretty tedious.  Are there cleverer ways of
>>> doing this?
>>>
>> Manually checking/unchecking is probably about the fastest way of
>> doing it, certainly much faster than hand typing each package name or
>> editing a bunch of 8+ character strings in an xml file.  I'd either do
>> the clicking at install time or use the system-config-kickstart tool
>> on an existing setup to generate a kickstart before you get going.  If
>> you're not the mouse type, once you get in to the package lists in the
>> installer, you can use the up/down keys and spacebar to toggle
>> packages extremely fast.
>>
> What I've done is sorta a combination of what you both are saying.
> I did an install with only core, and then added the packages I wanted
> using yum.  I then took the kickstart file made during install
> (/root/anaconda-ks.cfg) and added the packages that are listed in the
> yum log (/var/log/yum.log)
> I've edited the comps.xml file, and I've edited kickstart files, and I
> believe editing the kickstart file is easier.
>
> Troy

ok, thanks!  I thought perhaps there were other ways I was not aware of.

I'm a kickstart file person myself.  Manual is maybe good for a onesie but
gets old and unreliable for N > 2 systems.  Also, I like kickstarts because
it's both a record of what you did.  And it can be customized per machine.