SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:37:09 -0600
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 08:48:44AM -0800, Yasha Karant wrote:

> The other issue is "compatibility".  The university insists on
> certain specific web based applications, including proprietary
> Blackboard and a specialized Oracle PeopleSoft application called
> the Common Management System (CMS).  Is there a means to verify that
> the current ESR release meets the requirements of these
> applications?

From experience with university "enterprise" apps, the chances that any
of them are verified compatible with the cutting-edge version of
firefox is around zero. Having them compatible with the ESR version is
ambitious enough. The people maintaining these apps at your university should
be providing lists of what is compatible. You can't go by the vendor
sites, since you generally can't know what versions are in use.

I also suppose that within a couple more releases, Firefox 10.x will cease to
be a supported ESR version, and TUV will have to move to 17...

Graham