SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:24:46 -0500
Hi,
I don't think you're trolling.  I think you have legitimate complaints.  And to
be honest, you are using much more detail about what the problems are than
most.  If you had just said "All the yum gui's are terrible", then I would have
thought that this a troll.

So, before I begin, let me tell you that I use yum on the command line 99% of
the time.  So to me, most every yum gui I've used is slow, and I hadn't noticed
any difference.

Scientific Linux 4.5 will have yumex 1.0.2.  It's already in there, it's up on
the 40rolling area.  So, for 4.5 hopefully we've addressed that issue.

Scientific Linux 5.0 ... well you are the first person to comment on the yumex.
  All I'd heard before was "use the latest one you can", so that was what I
did.  I had noticed that centos was at version 1.2.2, but I didn't know why.
Evidently I should have followed their lead.
Once we've released a version, it's really hard to go back to a lower version
number.  It's possible, but often it's nicer to fix the newer version.  I have
no problem sticking in a newer, or fixed version for Scientific Linux 5.1.  And
if there is a valid reason for downgrading a version, that's possible as well.

What about purit?  I know they are still working on it.  It's not my personal
favorite.  It doesn't have the features of yumex and I did feel it was quite
sluggish.  But as I said before, they are still working on it, maybe it will
get working better.

So anyway, the end result is, for yum gui's, I'm open to suggestions,
especially suggestions that don't require alot of extra work on my part.  Since
it sounds like you have tried several types, what is your suggestion to help
the problem?

Troy

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I hope nobody would consider this trolling, but I have some feelings and I would like you to tell me I am wrong, or to give me a clue (if any).
>
> I am currently using SL5 on both my old laptop and my desktop PC at home (at work, it's Windows, Solaris and Debian) for the simple reason that SL5 has an installable LiveCD, whereas CentOS has not. Also, SL5 has for the very lazy people those 3rd-party repo clones already configured. While it does not have something like "centosplus" and whatever else CentOS adds, it's worth mentioning that there isn't much "extras" available for CentOS5 as of yet. (Note: maybe you should add by default the EPEL repo, and possinly Karan's.)
>
> The main criteria for choosing a distro are in my case: (1) stability; (2) package management.
>
> Before RHEL5 was released, the most stable experience I had was with CentOS4. (Second-best in stability was Sarge. Of course, Slackware never crashed on my hardware in recent times, but let's talk about enterprise-grade distros. )
>
> Now with RHEL5 & clones, I simply didn't want to D/L 6 CDs, neither from CentOS, nor from SL, and I can't burn DVDs -- plus, my laptop can only read CDs. So the SL5 LiveCD was the best choice to start having working SL5 installations right away!
>
> My problem now in RHEL5 clones is the speed of the GUI package management tools.
>
> I have no problem with the speed of yum at the CLI. My problems are with YumEx and Pirut.
>
> When I had CentOS4, I was pretty happy with Yumex 1.0.2. With CentOS5, they haveYumex 1.2.2, but SL5 preferred the "new generation" Yumex 1.9.5.
>
> Yumex 1.9.5 and 1.9.6 are slow, buggy and unstable in whatever distros I've tried them: FC6, F7, SL5. Should you take Yumex 1.9.7 from the EPEL repo, you'll find it more stable, but still slow to populate the view.
>
> I honestly believe that Tim Lauridsen has simply screwed YumEx with the 1.9.x series.
>
> So I was forced to switch to Pirut -- another bad joke in programming, with no ergonomics at all: I often see two identical packages in name and version, and there is no way to tell which one is from what repo, and generally speaking, there is so few info to see about a package; and you can't enable/disable repos from Pirut's GUI.
>
> Yesterday, I selected some 40 packages to add in Pirut; click on Apply. Nothing happens for about 1 minute. Clicked on Apply one more time. Nothing. In the next 2 minutes I clicked a few more times. At some point it started to calculate dependencies, just to tell me after some more 7 minutes(!) that there is a conflict! Utterly unacceptable on a Celeron/2.4GHz!!!
>
> Question #1: Am I the unique person pissed up by Pirut? Is it anything else but one of the crappiest package manager GUI ever? (Has anyone at Red Hat ever *seen* Synaptic? Or at the very least, YumEx?)

> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group