SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Vinod Gupta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vinod Gupta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 01:42:13 -0500
On 12/27/2006 4:24 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Vinod Gupta wrote:

>>> If you really want us to help, a bit more information is needed.
>>>
>>> Troy
>>
>> That is the only relevant information I see in the proc system and
>> syslog. I will be happy to send you more diagnostic info if you could
>> suggest what to look for where? I think it is just a question of
>> relatively poor auto-hardware detection in RHEL. Market is full of
>> portable USB drives (disk as well as flash based), RHEL particularly
>> lacks support for many. I am wondering if users can modify USB
>> drivers to narrow the gap.
>>
>> Vinod
>
> What version of Scientific Linux are you running?  And what kernel
> version?
>   cat /etc/redhat-release
>   uname -a
>
> I ask that because in S.L. 3.0.x the USB support wasn't as good as in
> S.L. 4.x.  Also, there are continually new drivers being added with
> each kernel.  So to say "All S.L. 3 and 4 releases don't do USB" is
> basically just ignoring all the work that goes in after a product is
> released.
>
> Also, you really don't say what USB devices you are having trouble
> with.  Is this a simple flash usb thumb drive?  Is this a full blown
> serial RAID5 chassis with it's own power supply?
>
> Whether it works on Windows or Knoppix is really not too important,
> other than it means that the hardware isn't broken.  The problem is
> that you want it to work on S.L..
> If you find that your USB device isn't working on the latest releases
> (I'd pick S.L. 4.4), we certainly are open to you contributing a
> driver for it.
>
> Thanks
> Troy

It happens on RHEL4 and SL4.4 alike. We have quite a few INOi HD260U
2.5" portable drives, none of them are recognized by RHEL4/SL4.4. I have
a non-name USB Flash drive too with the same problem.

BTW, I never meant to complain that it is your problem. SL folks,
particularly you and Connie, are doing a wonderful service to the SL
community, no doubts! Knoppix/Windows was quoted precisely for the
reason you have cited.

Vinod