SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:44:55 -0700
Subtitle: does Fedora actually suck?

Hi folks.  This isn't a troll.  We run SL on all of our server systems
and most of our client systems around here, and I'm pretty happy with
the situation, except for one thing: we get requests fairly frequently
for software that our user community genuinely must have, but that is
not in the current version of SL.  (Examples include Python 2.4, PHP
5.x, MySQL 5.x, etc.)

We typically respond to this by building parallel copies of the software
in question:

     foo.tar.gz --> /usr/local/foo

This approach usually works, but it does have some pitfalls, such as
other programs finding the "wrong" version of foo.

I recently had what I thought was a bright idea: leave SL on the server
systems, but run Fedora on the client systems.  Then we get
bleeding-edge software where we need it and stability where we need it.
  The downside is the necessity for frequent upgrades to the client
systems, but we can kickstart a lot of those, so that isn't such a big
issue.

On the other hand, I've seen some words on this list lately that
indicate that Fedora is buggy, unreliable, etc.  Those kinds of things
ARE big issues.  I installed Fedora 6 on an ancient PC at home and
haven't seen any obvious problems with it, except that the X-windows
display isn't nearly as good as the Windows display was.

If you have any solid experience with Fedora, I'd appreciate hearing
your opinions of Fedora.  Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966