SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:03:22 -0500
Ah ... good, so it isn't a general problem.
I sortof was hoping that we'd have an excuse to push out thunderbird 2.0.
Actually, I was hoping that RedHat was push out thunderbird along with firefox,
but no such luck.
I'm glad you got it fixed.
Troy

Kin Yip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made use of the excuse to upgrade to SL 5.2 (from 5.1) which gets
> Thunderbird 2.0.x among hundreds
> of other things.  But this didn't solve the problem.
>
> At the end, I've realized that my .cshrc (which did no harm before) has
>
> setenv MOZ_NO_REMOTE 1
>
> which causes Firefox 3.0.1 not want to start with the message reported.
>
> Turning it off would solve the problem.
>
> Kin
>
> Troy Dawson wrote:
>> Kin Yip wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using SL 5.1 with Firefox 1.5.x  and Thunderbird
>>> (thunderbird-1.5.0.12-12.el5) for a while (workingfine).
>>> I could click a http link (for example) and start Firefox in a new tab
>>> in the browser.
>>>
>>> After last night's yum update, Firefox 3.0.1 has replaced the old
>>> Firefox 1.5.x .  I can use firefox without problem.
>>> But now if I click a http link (say) when there is Firefox, it'd
>>> complain :
>>>
>>> Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window,
>>> you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your
>>> system.
>>>
>>> If I close the Firefox, it'd start a new one.  But if I click another
>>> http link, it'd make the same complaint and I have to close
>>> Firefox (or I can copy and paste the link to Firefox).
>>>
>>> In thunderbird about:config,  network.protocol-handler.app.http has
>>> pointed to "/usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.12/open-browser.sh"  and it had
>>> worked fine before until  now Firefox 3.0.1 comes.
>>>
>>> I've tried to replace that open-browser.sh with firefox etc.   Nothing
>>> works and the same error message persists.
>>> ( I've stupidly deleted old profiles in firefox/thunderbird (as I'm
>>> desperate) but of course they were not the problem. )
>>>
>>> It looks like to me that open-browser.sh in 1.5 Thunderbird is not
>>> updated with Firefox 3.0.1 ...
>>>
>>> Any ideas and help ?
>>>
>>> Kin
>>>
>> Hi,
>> I've been using thunderbird 2.0 from SL 5.2, and don't see that
>> problem.  I'll double check and see if it is a thunderbird 1.5 vs
>> thunderbird 2.0 problem.
>> Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group