SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:21:14 +0900
On 07/31/2013 11:57 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM, zxq9<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> On 07/30/2013 10:26 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> You're welcome.
>>>
>>> Very true. Similar to some current Fedora spec files:
>>>
>>> %if 0%{?rhel}
>>> %endif
>>> %if 0%{?fedora}
>>> %endif
>>>
>>> An eyesore and a mess; until December 2020...
>>
>> tl;dr, Relevant Fedora thread first:
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-October/thread.html#172159
>>
>> Reminds me of a dismal post from October:
>> http://zxq9.com/archives/711
>
> I was only commenting on the more complex and unreadable spec files.
> Otherwise I'm happy about systemd and journald. In short, the kernel
> has evolved, the applications have evolved, why not the init system?

Its not that the init system can't do with some modernization, its that
the new system has a severe case of featuritis that is spawning little
eddies of nonlocalized complexity all over the place. Modernizing a
system and tossing everything that's come before in the interest of a
deliberately incompatible rewrite are different things. Remember HAL?