SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 14:20:47 -0500
July 1, 2011
The first beta release for Scientific Linux 6.1 has been released.

All of the recompiled packages have passed our tests to our
satisfaction.  We do not expect the packages that we get from The
Upstream Vendor to change.

Although we see a few tweaks and changes before Release Candidate, these
should all be minor.  I believe we have made it past the last major hurdles.

DOWNLOAD INFO
DVD and Net Install downloads are at
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/iso/
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso/

Changes since SL 6.1 Alpha 2

* libguestfs
- Recompiled against a different repository so that it better matched
our golden image.  The repository was plain SL 6.0 with no updates,
except for febootstrap and augeas.

* qemu-kvm
- Recompiled against a several different repositories so that it better
matched our golden image.  Our version does not required several libX
libraries.  Investigation has found the following
"qxl ... is the main rendering device for qemu-kvm since it was added
(iteration-160).  It does the rendering no matter if server or client
lib X does not."
We have tested this package on several machines, and it works quite well
without these libraries.
Thank you to everyone who helped with this.

* virt-viewer
- Recompiled against a different repository so that it better matched
our golden image.  The repository was plain SL 6.0 with no updates.

* comps.xml
- Turned off the following groups from being installed by default on a
desktop: high-availability, resilient-storage and load-balancer.

The Scientific Linux Development Team